For over one hundred years Evans Lumber has served the community of Sudbury. From its inception in 1896, Thomas and W. Arthur Evans held a strong belief that Sudbury would become a prosperous town and they intended to help Sudbury grow. There were other building suppliers in Sudbury when Evans Lumber first entered the market, but no others stood the test of time. Nor could any match the incomparable quality or the high standard of customer service practiced by the Evans family and its employees.
Thomas Evans arrived in Sudbury in 1886, when he began working as a mason for the Canadian Copper Company. His family remained in Trenton initially due to the lack of established educational institutions for his young children in Sudbury. The rest of the family joined him in 1901.
Thomas’ son, William Arthur arrived in 1889 and quickly became involved in what would become the family business. In 1896, Thomas’ contract with the Canadian Copper Company ended and he was left with a significant amount of surplus building material. Thomas established a partnership with his son, Thomas Evans and Son, to sell off the excess stock. The endeavor was so successful that the pair decided to remain in Sudbury.
Father and son determined that all types of quality building material would be in demand for the growing community so they committed themselves wholeheartedly into developing a business that would serve the needs of Sudbury’s builders.
A new store was built at the east end of Cedar St. in 1899, followed by a new mill and store on Xavier St. a year later. The new store was reorganized so as to supply Sudbury builders in a very efficient manner. The store became one of the first in Canada to assemble all varieties of building supplies under one roof.
During this time, the Evans family became involved with many charitable and social causes that would lead to the improvement of the growing community. W. Arthur Evans was President of the board of Trade, appointed to the Ontario Parole Board and elected to the Public School Board.
In 1901, W. Arthur became president of the family business and reorganized it under the name The Sudbury Building Supply Company. The company grew and prospered, and in 1906 it was renamed The Evans Company, Limited. The company’s slogan “Everything for Builders” was copyrighted and quickly became the hallmark that testified the company’s commitment to Sudburians.